Ellie and Carol, members of the HF Holidays’ Reservations and Abroad Administration teams visited the fascinating destination of Malta & Gozo, courtesy of the Maltese Tourist Board. Here’s their tale from the boot room… Both Ellie and Carol have experienced the UK side of HF Holidays and when given the opportunity to travel to Malta & Gozo they jumped at the chance. They joined the Guided Walking & Sightseeing holiday in March 2015.
Was there anything in particular that stood out for you? Carol: Visiting the Azure window in Gozo was really special, it’s so beautiful and in Valletta I went to St John’s Cathedral; inside was covered in gold and it was a sight to remember. Ellie: The Azure Window was incredible and also seeing Brad Pitt’s boat docked in the harbour was exciting for me. There were plenty of breathtaking views and the wild flowers at Buskett Gardens were beautiful.
Were there any unexpected surprises? Carol: My surprise was that I joined in and experienced 2 days of lovely walking with other walkers and completed both walks – I found it challenging as this was the first time I have ever walked for a full day. Ellie: I had no idea that the sea was so crystal blue and clean; it was truly beautiful – also it was sad to learn that the Azure Window won’t be there forever.
Other tidbits of info you’d like to share:
- Ian Winterbourne is an amazing leader, full of knowledge about the country, flowers and excursions
- Groups tend to be made up of a mixture of single, couples and friends
- Both hotels are lovely
- Crystal blue sea
- Maltese and Gozitans are extremely friendly people
- Malta is an incredibly historic country
- Maltese churches have two clock faces; one with the right time and one with the wrong time to confuse the devil
- Plenty of war history in Malta
- Maltese ladies are the smallest in the world
- There are 359 churches in Malta & Gozo